- This event has passed.
Paradise Found: The True Story of the English and Welsh Settlers That Came to the New World in 1587
May 17 @ 11:00 am - 11:45 amFree
In the late sixteenth century, over 100 English and Welsh men, women, and children did not “walk away through the dark forest”, in a shroud of mystery and fantasy. In addition to first-hand accounts from Sir John White and Sir Thomas Harriot, there is significant archaeological evidence that many — if not all of them — were guided by local Croatoan natives from Roanoke Island to Croatoan. Today, we call this paradise, Hatteras Island. Join researcher Scott Dawson, founder of the Croatoan Archaeological Society, to explore new archaeological evidence that shows the true story of how the English and Welsh settlers came to the New World and found paradise.
The presentation is part of the museum’s 2022 Salty Dawgs Speaker Series, which features 23 presenters on North Carolina maritime history and culture. These talks are scheduled at 11 a.m. on Tuesdays from May through September at 11 a.m. They run 30-45 minutes. The public is invited, and reservations are not necessary. Call 252-986-0723 for more information.
About the speaker: Scott Dawson is a researcher, author, and founder of the Croatoan Archaeological Society, which has led archaeological excavations on Hatteras Island, a barrier island off the North Carolina coast, to uncover the mystery of what happened to members of “Lost Colony” at nearby Roanoke. His recent book, The Lost Colony and Hatteras Island, documents his team’s discoveries over the last ten years. Dawson himself is a native Hatteras Island, having grown up less than a mile from the Croatoan village site. His family can trace their roots on Hatteras back to the 1600’s when a Dutchman named Thomas Mueller shipwrecked on the island, was rescued by the Croatoan Indians, and later married a Croatoan woman named Rea. In 2002, Dawson received a degree in Psychology with a minor in history from the University of Tennessee. Dawson currently resides in Kill Devil Hills with his wife and two daughters. Previously, he resided on Hatteras Island and managed the local Croatoan Inn and Museum in Buxton.